Okay, so I’m not quite sure why this is called a tortilla soup, when clearly there are no tortillas anywhere to be seen, but I’m just gonna go with it. It’s what my Blentec cookbook is calling it.Have I mentioned how much I love my Blendtec? Well, it’s worth repeating if I already have. I love my Blendtec. I love it. And this soup is my reason why I do.
It’s simple. It’s raw. It’s vegan. And it tastes like heaven.
All you do is throw some raw vegetables and spices into the blender jar along with some warm water, press “SOUPS” on the keypad, and 90 seconds later, you have a bowl of the healthiest soup you’ve ever had. You really need a Blendtec or one of those super-duper high-powered blenders for this, so if you’re wondering what to ask for this Christmas, you might consider mentioning this to Santa. Because this soup will change your life. It changed mine.Anyway, this recipe is based on the recipe for Tortilla Soup in the Blendtec cookbook that comes with the machine. I tweaked my version a little.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
This will give you a raw and vegan soup. If you want to go non-vegan, or cooked, feel free to add cheese and heat the soup up on the stove.
- 2 very ripe medium size tomatoes (in season, if possible)
- 1 medium organic carrot, ends removed, and cut into large pieces
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/2 ripe avocado, plus more for garnish
- 1 large handful cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (I think this makes the soup technically not raw, so you can do
- what you like.)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or 1/2 teaspoon REAL salt
- 2 cups warm water
Place ingredients in the Foursided jar of the Blendec (with the exception of the avocado and cilantro you’re reserving for the garnish), fit the jar with the lid, and press “SOUPS.” Pour warm soup into bowls and garnish with avocados, cilantro, and whatever else you want to add like tortillas!