I posted these scrumptious looking things on Babble.com today and wanted to be sure you all got a look at them here first. I made these with the sole purpose of creating granola bars that taste like s’mores.
They’re very chewy, and very messy, and I think you and your kids will love every bite.I started with a blend of five rolled grains I found at my local health food store. I would have used plain oats, but since no one in our house is allergic to wheat, I thought the addition of some other rolled grains would give us added health benefits, not to mention help them taste more like graham crackers.The other reason I love these is they contain my all time favorite ingredient: sweetened condensed milk. I have no idea how bad that stuff is. I just blissfully remain in the dark as to its health (non)benefits, and assume it must be healthy because it is milk, after all.To add to the s’mores flavor, I added some honey. Recently, a fantastic company in New York called Mohawk Valley Trading Co. sent me a box of their gorgeous raw* honeys. I received a jar each of their Orange Blossom, Apple Blossom, Wild Blueberry, and Adirondack Wildflower Summer flavors. Each flavor is unique in its own way, and each is wonderful. My kids and I have been in honey heaven.
S’mores Granola Bars
- 5 cups rolled oats or rolled mixed grains (I used a 5 grain mix from a health food store)
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper so that it comes up on the sides.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, condensed milk, honey, salt, butter, cinnamon, and 1 cup of chocolate chips. With wet hands, press the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Remove from oven, sprinkle on marshmallows, and place on the upper rack of oven, and bake for 5 minutes more to toast the marshmallows. Allow to cool completely.
3. Melt the remaining cup of chocolate chips in the microwave in 20-30 second intervals, and drizzle over the top of the granola bars.