I thought I’d stick to breakfast foods for Saturday mornings. It’s after noon, I know. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep—been a bit spacey all day.
For the crust:
1 1/4 cups (190g) whole wheat pastry flour (available at health food stores–and make sure it’s fresh!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons, or 110g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 degrees Celsius). Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives (You could also do this step in a food processor). Gently stir in 3-4 tablespoons of ice water until mixture forms a ball. Form into a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick with a rolling pin. Place in pie shell. Crimp edges if using a standard pie plate. If using a tart pan, trim edges by rolling a rolling pin over the top edge of the pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Cut a circle of parchment paper at least 3 inches larger in diameter than the pie pan, and place in the crust. Weight down with a pound of beans poured into the paper. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove beans and paper, and bake for 5 minutes more.
For the filling:
8 eggs, if you are using a standard size pie plate, 6 eggs if you are using a 9″ tart pan
1/4 cup (60g) milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 ounces (85g-110g) extra sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 (100g) pound thinly sliced honey ham, cut in small squares
1/4 cup (20g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees (165 degrees Celsius). Whisk all ingredients in a large bowl, and pour into prepared pie crust.
2. Place on a cookie sheet, and bake for 1 hour if using a standard pie plate, or 35 minutes if using a 9″ tart pan. Remove from oven when the filling is set.