I know you’ve all been wondering where I have been. Sorry. It’s been a crazy few weeks. I am currently planning lots of new things for sophistimom (thanks to some of the ideas of our creative reader, Brooke, at ConversationsWithACupcake). All the brainstorming is cutting into time I could be spending making new posts. Don’t worry, though. The new and improved sophistimom.com will be online soon. While you’re all waiting though. Here is a very simple and comforting soup you can make in a hurry.
Potato leek soup
- 3 medium size leeks, cut in 1/2 inch slices (for directions, click here)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups (1 litre) homemade chicken stock or low sodium canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (60g) sour cream
1. In a stockpot set over low heat, saute leeks and butter for 5 minutes. Add in diced potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the leeks are tender. Stir occasionally.
2. Pour in chicken stock, and simmer, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add pepper and more salt to taste.
3. Working in batches, use a blender to puree the soup, then stir in sour cream. Serve with a garnish of chives and a dollop of sour cream.