These muffins are a healthy start to any morning, yet decadent enough to serve at a nice brunch.
orange-scented carrot cake muffins
1 cup currants or raisins (optional)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (available at health food stores)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
5 medium organic carrots, grated finely on a box grater (about 3 cups)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root (a 1 inch piece)
zest of one orange
1/3 cup whole milk yogurt or soy yogurt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 pieces of candied ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line twelve standard muffin tins with
2. Place currants in a bowl with orange juice and enough water to
cover. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl place flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt,
cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Stir with a whisk to incorporate.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugars until well beaten.
Add the carrots, ginger, orange zest, oil, and yogurt. Mix well.
5. Add the carrot mixture to the flour mixture. Fold just until no
patches of flour remain. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin liners. Bake
for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center muffin
comes out clean.
6. Cut each piece of candied ginger in half. Place on muffins.