I love this chicken stock. You don’t need to wait until you have a spare set of chicken bones—you just use a small whole chicken. Because it’s made in the slow cooker, the chicken becomes tender instead of tough. And best of all, it cooks while you sleep.
For the vegetables, just use any odds and ends left over in the fridge. I used the carrots and celery my kids never ate.
1 small whole chicken (2-3 pounds, or about 1 kilo)
salt and pepper
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet set over medium high heat, brown chicken on all sides.
2. Transfer chicken to a large slow cooker, and set the cooker to low.
4. Put the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or over night.
5. Allow stock to cool. Place a sieve in a colander, and set in a large bowl. Strain the stock. Place in small containers and freeze.
6. Remove usable chicken meat, and refrigerate for another purpose.
7. Discard everything else.