You ready for something healthy after all that candy? Don’t worry, this salad won’t take you off the sugar cold turkey. It’s a little like eating a candy salad, which happens to be the way I like mine.
harvest salad with spiced pumpkin seeds
maple vinaigrette (recipe follows)
chevre (goat cheese)
dried tart cherries
Bartlett pears, chopped in one inch pieces
spiced pumpkin seeds (recipe follows)
1. Toss mixed greens with maple vinaigrette. Arrange on plates.
2. Garnish greens with crumbled chevre, dried cherries, pear pieces, and pumpkin seeds.
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons apple cider
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
spiced pumpkin seeds
4 tablespoons organic evaporated cane juice (or regular sugar)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups raw, shelled pumpkin seeds (the green ones)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1. In a medium bowl, combine evaporated cane juice, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, toast pumpkin seeds over medium heat until they become slightly fragrant and begin to puff up and pop. Remove seeds from heat, and return skillet to the stove.
3. Over medium heat, mix sugar and butter and cook until sugar carmelizes. Add pumpkin seeds back into pan and stir until seeds begin to stick together and the caramel gets stringy.
4. Pour pumpkin seeds into sugar mixture, and stir to coat.
share and enjoy