I’m posting a recipe for pumpkin pie. I made this one in a deep dish ceramic pie plate with a 5 cup capacity. I had to bulk up my recipe some to make it fit. Then, I ended up having extra pumpkin filling, which I poured into ramekins and oven proof mugs, and baked along side the pie. The kids like them as snacks.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- deep dish pie crust dough (recipe follows)
- 3 1/2 cups (800g) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (80g) maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 inch piece freshly grated ginger
- 4 eggs
- 12 ounce (340g) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (112g) heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 degrees Celsius) Roll out dough until the diameter exceeds the diameter of the pie dish by 2-3 inches. Trim dough into a circle. Use a fork or knife to make several dock marks on the bottom. Roll dough onto rolling pin and drape into pie plate. Press dough firmly into plate. Trim any excess. Cut half inch strips with remaining scraps of dough. Cut strips diagonally to form diamond shapes. Pinch long sides of the diamonds to smooth out corners and create leaf shapes. With a knife, score the tops of each leaf to make a “vein.” With fingers, pat the bottom side of each leaf with a few drops of water, and press onto edge of pie dough. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Place a large round of parchment paper into prepared pie crust. Fill with dried beans or pie weights and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment paper and bake for another 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, sugar, syrup, spices, eggs, milk and cream. Whisk until very smooth. Pour into pie crust.
4. Cover edges of crust with strips of aluminum foil to prevent burning. Place on a cookie sheet, place in oven, and reduce heat to 350 degrees (180 degrees Celsius). Bake for 60-90 minutes, or until center of pie is set. Let cool completely, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Deep Dish Pie Crust Dough
- 2 cups (300g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3-8 tablespoons ice cold water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add in butter and use a pastry cutter to cut up the butter and flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal (whatever that means).
2. Gently stir in 2 tablespoons of water. Add in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough begins holding together. If you take a handful, and squeeze it, it should leave a sharp impression of your hand.
3. Form the dough into a large disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.