This is the first time I used panko, the Japanese style breadcrumbs.They’re light and crunchy, and do not interfere with the other flavors in the recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tender strips
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1/4 olive oil
1. In a large glass bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper. Cover with buttermilk and stir in cayenne pepper. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
2. In one shallow dish, place the beaten egg; in another shallow baking dish, mix together panko and parmesan cheese.
3. Pull each strip of chicken from the buttermilk mixture and coat in egg, and then panko/parmesan mixture.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Working in small batches, brown the chicken on both sides until heated through. Add more oil to the pan as needed. As they are finished, move them to a warm oven (200 degrees) until ready to serve.