These are the classic magic bars my mom used to make with a recipe she got from a can of condensed milk (I think it was Borden’s brand). With the graham crackers and chocolate, it always seemed obvious to vary the recipe to be like s’mores by replacing the coconut with mini marshmallows. But I’ll warn you — they’re very sweet. I usually make half the pan with 1 cup of marshmallows (which the kids prefer), and the other half of the pan with 1 cup of coconut (for the grown-ups).
Magic S’mores Bars
- 10 ounces (300g) graham crackers (18 whole crackers, or two cellophane wrapped stacks)
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 14 ounce can (400g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups (I have no idea how much they weigh—just throw a couple of handfuls on!) mini marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees Celsius). In a large resealable bag (or in a food processor), smash graham crackers until finely ground. Stir in melted butter and salt. Press into a 13×9? pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. Sprinkle on chocolate chips. Drizzle can of condensed milk over graham crackers; follow with marshmallows.
3. Bake for 20 minutes more, until marshmallows are lightly browned. Let cool completely. I usually put mine in the freezer to make it go faster.